Pages

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Fire Breather


No, it's too much, burn my sun,
Up in flames we go, you fire breather.
Ash and dust, on my door, smoke rise
Trying to survive inside your heart


This song got me hooked the second I heard it from The Vampire Diaries. (The hot Delena scene it was serving as background music to may have contributed to that fact.)

Though I'm not really adverse to particular song genres, I do have a few biases.  In fact my taste in music is so diverse that I'm pretty sure I have a favorite song in every genre - save for heavy metal, that's too much of a stretch.  Anyway, lately I find myself listening to many indie songs (Of Monsters and Men's Yellow Light, Lorde's Pure Heroine album, HAIM's The Wire, Bastille's... everything, etc.)

And so ladies and gentlemen, I introduce you to Laurel's Fire Breather.

The beat in the first verses are so steady, but the slow rap-whisper-singing-whatever-it-may-be accompanying it is so enchanting.  Laurel manages to capture us with just a whisper of her angelic voice. Then the chorus comes along and it's shocking how different it is from the calm verses leading up to it.  The chorus sounds of desperation - the falsetto so fragile that it might break. It's like a shout for help, and yet so passionate, for something so broken. The chorus is my favorite part.  I just don't know how these artists do it - make music that's so unique and different and make it so damn beautiful. It's not just her voice; it's not just the melody, even the words are enthralling.

Lyrics:


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts and reviews!! Thanks so much for visiting!