Pages

Thursday, April 24, 2014

#PrayForSouthKorea


I am currently in between uploading a new post. Maybe it was because the post I was working on was about a Korean actor or maybe it's because I haven't watched the news for so long that I ended up forgetting how real tragedy was, but today, when I opened the TV and watched the death count of the Sewol Ferry Incident rise to a 175, tears involuntarily pooled in my eyes.

A great nation made up of usually happy and loud citizens is now suffering because of an immense tragedy. Some of the victims are even just high school boys. Maybe it's hypocritical of me to say it that way because I'm only a fresh high school graduate myself, but looking through the objective glass that the news presents, they all feel so much younger.

I share this short post today to raise awareness that just because we are not part of the same country and the news is not that new anymore, it doesn't mean that the tragedy's over. They are still there, fighting - whether or not the "they" entails possible survivors or merely hopeful families is irrelevant.

Being a kpop/kdrama fan myself, I'm slightly updated to the Korean celebrity news, and it's heartbreaking to see these entertainers so spiritless.

An eighteen year old such as myself is helpless right now - without my own money or possessions to give away. If we're being totally honest here, I'm not even a donating type of person, but whether or not we have anything right now to give, let us try to extend our hands to them in our own personal ways.

Let us include them in our prayers, or if you don't pray, let us put them in our thoughts, hopes and wishes for even just a second.

Because they are not only mourning as a nation, we are mourning as a people.

The worst is not yet over - especially for the families. Let us do what little we can to help them. After all, we will never know if these thoughts of ours will make a change, and if they will, that change can only be positive.



Yellow Ribbon - symbol dedicated to the victims of the Sewol Ferry Incident


Please pardon the repetitiveness and possible grammatical errors. I wrote this in a hurry and to prove to myself that this isn't just another blog post I made up my mind not to edit it.  (Except for this sentence and the spacing between text and pictures.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts and reviews!! Thanks so much for visiting!