Pages

Thursday, July 24, 2014

#iRecommend Boss&Me




杉杉来了or Boss&Me (alternatively known as 杉杉来吃) is the first series I've ever watched that was produced by Mainland China and I have to say, it's adorable.

Most of the time, when I come across scenes from Mainland China shows (that I learned from research to be labeled as C-dramas1) on TV, I thought of them as too dramatic or too boring to try. I know, I know; I'm being too judgy. But if I had to watch a show, then at least I had to have a good impression of it right? I mean, I'm not into Bollywood, but I'm pretty sure they have their own good movies (i.e. 3 Idiots2).

I haven't been watching Taiwanese series anymore either, because when I watch anything Chinese, I want them light3, but the type of series that Taiwan was producing of the rom-com genre tended to be too exaggerated, and so I gave up on them.



I caught my sister watching this show, and when I watched with her, I found myself already loving it. And so, with no questions asked4, I started to watch this show.

And finished it in 3 days5.

I'm currently in my drama series withdrawal state. *sigh*

Because I don't want to spoil you, the same way that I didn't want to be spoiled for my first C-drama, I'm going to be as vague as possible.

Boss&Me stars Hans Zhang as Feng Teng 封腾 and Zanilia Zhao as Xue Shan Shan 薛杉杉. There are, of course, other characters, but like I said, nothing too specific. This show is super kawaii 6. By definition, some of the characters are a little bit unrealistic - as expected from a rom-com show. They are too kind, or sometimes too silly. But once you take that in, everything else is surprisingly realistic. To explain it simply, here's an example:

*spoiler ahead*

Feng Yue 封月 (played by Zhang Yang Guo Er 张杨果而) is improbably kind to people, and even to strangers. She's Feng Teng's (a.k.a. the boss) younger sister. Even though she was never really outwardly mean to Shan Shan, it was clear in a few of her words that she initially didn't entirely approve of Feng Teng and Shan Shan's relationship.

*spoiler end*

So basically, once you take in the silliness of some of their character descriptions, everything else is real. They'll all react like normal human beings.

Ugh, I know I'm being really vague right now, but there's no way to explain it without bringing up too much spoilers. If you're done with the show, I'd be happy to discuss and elaborate.

But for now, trust this vagueness.

Because this show is adorable 7.



Well, for sure she is. I love her.





EndNotes:
1 I guess it makes sense. K-dramas, Kpop, Jpop. Huh. Never imagined "C-drama". 
2 OhGod I love 3 Idiots so much. One of the best movies ever. If you haven't watched it yet, you're missing a part of your life. I shit you not; it's amazing. 
3 I have this weird thing where my interests vary so much, but every interest is specific. Like for example, I like watching movies and I love reading books. For movies, I can watch classic, rom-com, supernatural, and pretty much any genre except horror. But for books, I hate reading non-supernatural, and more specifically, rom-com (except for: P.S. I Love You and Love, Rosie). Also, I'm alright with light or heavy K-dramas, but for Chinese/Taiwanese, I'd cringe if I see heavy drama. 
You get my point now. 
4 Except for the usual who-what-where-when of course. By that time she was watching the 28th episode.
There were 33 episodes.
6 I know that's Japanese and unrelated, but it was the best substitute for the word "adorable" and that's the best word to describe this show.
7 Yes, yes. I've said that before.





Edit: If you want more review sources, here they are:
Link 1
Link 2


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts and reviews!! Thanks so much for visiting!